Deadline to submit March 24, 2017
The School of the Performing Arts at theREP seeks entries for the third annual Young Playwright Contest. Contest winners will see their short plays professionally produced on theREP's stage in August 2017, and will receive a series of workshops led by a professional playwright. Submissions will be evaluated on creativity, dialogue, character development, plot structure, and the inclusion of the line "And that was just the beginning." Any scripts longer than 10 minutes will not be considered.
- Playwrights must be at least 13 years old and no older than 19 years at the time of submission, and must reside within a 90-mile radius of Albany, NY.
- Plays must be no longer than 10-minutes in length.
- Plays may have no more than 7 characters.
- Submissions must include the line: "And that was just the beginning."
- Submissions should include the Young Playwrights Application.
- Submissions should be sent to Margaret E. Hall at email@example.com with Young Playwright Contest Submission in the subject line by Friday March 24, 2017.
For more information contact Margaret Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518.462.4531 x410
Congratulations to our 2017 Young Playwright Contest finalists:
Moolaw Eh (Rensselaer High School) - "The Coat of Two Colors"
Cynthia Fowler (Albany High School) - "Moorings, Masks and Madmen"
Jaimie Gaskell (Greenwich Central High School) - "Crash Landing"
Morgan Hughes (Schenectady High School) - "Curiosity Killed the Cat"
Joshua Keena (Rensselaer High School) - "Inside My Head"
Andrew Sabo (Hudson Falls High School) - "The Convoluted Life of Jazmine Brown"
Kieran Teator (Rensselaer High School) - "From Helmets to Hamlet"
Samantha Vatalaro (Shaker High School) - "Though I Walk Through The Valley"
Jasmine Vrooman (Northville Central High School) - "Dinero University"
Eden Weinstein (Bethlehem Central High School) - "Familiar Faces"
Alexavier A. J. Kelley
Sponsored by the John D. Picotte Family Foundation.