ALBANY, NY –Capital Repertory Theatre announces open auditions for its upcoming spring Theatre for Young Audiences productions, A FRIEND OF A FRIEND and SHAKESPEARE: THE REMIX. These productions will tour to schools and community groups throughout the Capital Region from Apr 8 – May 18. Rehearsals begin Mar. 14.
Interested actors should enjoy performing and interacting with young audiences and be collegial and adaptive.
Auditions will take place on Monday, February 11
from 9:00AM to 5:00PM
at Capital Rep, 111 N. Pearl Street in Albany
A FRIEND OF A FRIEND: Tales of the Underground Railroad from the Capital Regionis a stirring tale told in the living newspaper style that chronicles the heroism of African Americans, such as Stephen and Harriet Myers, Harriet Tubman and Solomon and Ann Northrup, who made significant contributions to the Abolitionist movement.
SHAKESPEARE: THE REMIXputs a savvy, tough urban teen in a head-to-head confrontation with none other than Shakespeare himself. The show illuminates the plots of Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
Capital Rep seeks 2 actors:
- One female – early to late 20s to play the youthful strong-willed African American slam poet and multiple roles in FRIEND OF A FRIEND, including Harriet Myers. The actress must have experience with Shakespeare and be able to rap.
- One male – late twenties to forties to play William Shakespeare and the musician and multiple roles in A FRIEND OF A FRIEND. This actor needs to be verbally skilled to handle Shakespearean verse and rap and must play guitar, ukulele or fiddle.
All actors must be available for the entire rehearsal and production dates. Selected actors will be provided with Equity contracts under Capital Rep’s Theatre for Young Audiences agreement. Union and non-union actors are invited to the open auditions. Non-union actors, if cast, will be offered Equity contracts.
Interested actors should prepare
- two (2) one-minute contrasting monologues; one from Shakespeare.
- men should bring an instrument and a prepared song;
- women should bring a prepared rap number.
PLEASE NOTE: No appointment is necessary, but actors can make an appointment if preferred by emailing MARGARET HALL at email@example.com or by calling (518) 462-4531 X410.
Capital Rep’s most popular On-The-Go! show returns.
Shakespeare the Remix compares the power of language found in Shakespeare’s works with that of early hip-hop and slam poetry. A hip teenage girl tackles the women in Shakespeare’s written works, and finds herself in a verbal battle with the Bard himself. Students will experience bits from Hamlet, Macbeth and A Midsummer Nights Dream. Shakespeare the Remix is a striking mix of Shakespearean text with fresh, original hip hop poetry and music.